Frequently asked questions
- What size should I order?
- How can I exchange the garment I just received?
- How can I return the garment I just received?
- Why don’t you prioritize exchanges?
- Do you offer refunds?
- What is a lead time?
- Why is your lead time currently 4-5 weeks?
- What does made-to-order mean?
- Why are you made-to-order?
- Why are all of your garments unavailable?
- When can I order a garment that is currently unavailable?
- Why are some pieces available and others not?
- I’m interested in hearing more about the way you’re receiving and producing orders. Where can I learn more?
- Are you able to update me on the status of my order?
- Can I change my order after it's been placed?
- Can you rush ship my order?
- Am I responsible for paying customs fees when my order arrives?
- Can I update the shipping address on my order?
- How do I care for my garment? Is it dry clean only?
- Can I set up a showroom appointment?
1. What size should I order?This is one of our favorite questions! We know sizing can be tricky when shopping online, and we’re here to help in any way we can. Take a look at our new Sizing Guide! Then, email our Customer Relations Team at firstname.lastname@example.org for a sizing recommendation. Send us your bust, waist, and hip measurements along with your height and (optional) weight. If you’re up for it, photos always help us when providing a recommendation, as well!
2. How can I exchange the garment I just received?We are happy to help facilitate an exchange for you! We are able to accept exchanges for garments that are unworn and in good condition within 14 days of delivery. If you need to exchange a garment you received, email our Customer Relations Team at email@example.com, and we’ll get everything taken care of for you!
- If you would like to exchange your garment for a different size, or a garment at the same price, we’ll take care of everything right away!
- If you would like a garment that is more expensive than the one you’re returning, we will place the new order and issue an invoice for the remaining balance!
- If you would like a garment that is less expensive than the one you’re returning, we will place the new order and issue a store credit for the remaining balance!
- If you would like to exchange a garment after we’ve reached our production capacity for the week, we will include your order in the following week’s queue!
3. How can I return the garment I just received?Let’s make it right. We are happy to facilitate a return for a store credit. In addition, we are happy to learn more about your day-to-day in order to recommend a garment that will fit well into your life! We are able to accept returns for garments that are unworn and in good condition within 14 days of delivery. Email our Customer Relations Team at firstname.lastname@example.org to get the return process started!
4. Why don’t you prioritize exchanges?In order to guarantee that everyone receives their order on time, our Production Team produces garments in the order they were placed. Since our garments are made-to-order, our team is able to produce a limited number of garments each week. This means that prioritizing certain garments results in others falling behind in the queue. We will always do our best to produce your order as quickly as possible, and we appreciate your patience while we have a longer lead time!
5. Do you offer refunds?We currently do not offer refunds. Although we are always up for a challenge, offering refunds is a bit tricky for our company’s current model and size. Our made-to-order business model, financial workflow, and strong belief in our garments themselves make us confident in offering store credit only at this time.
6. What is a lead time?Our lead time is the amount of time it takes us to produce a made-to-order garment and prepare it for shipment. We place all the orders we receive in a given week into a production plan. Then we make all of the garments in that production plan - they move through the warehouse getting cut, sewn, washed, inspected, and packed up as a group. Our lead time does not include USPS pick up and delivery. At any given moment, our team will be working on three or four production plans - one batch is in cutting, one in sewing, and one in fulfillment or ready for pickup. Each production plan is totally unique, containing only the garments you all have ordered. It's a pretty wonderful symphony of activity!
7. Why is your lead time currently 4-5 weeks?As a company, we’ve experienced really exciting growth this year! Demand has been higher than ever, and we’re doing our best to keep up, but for the past several months more orders have been coming in than we’ve been able to produce in 2-3 weeks. Our team is working fiercely to bring our lead time back down, and limiting the number of orders we receive on a weekly basis will help us do just that.
8. What does made-to-order mean?Unlike traditional companies that produce inventory en masse and then make that inventory available to purchase, we don't begin producing a garment until a customer has placed their order. Once the order is placed, we cut, sew, wash, and ship the garment.
9. Why are you made-to-order? We began as a made-to-order company and have kept that model as we’ve grown. It reduces waste (we don’t overproduce inventory or cut into materials that aren’t needed), keeps our capital investment costs low, and allows us to offer a wide variety of styles and sizes that other inventory-based companies can’t afford to offer. Because we don’t cut into fabric and produce a garment until it’s ordered, we’re able to be much more flexible with our collection and we’re not in the guessing game of predicting demand. There is also a pretty magical quality about not expending precious material and human energy until another human has said they want and will use the object, and we don’t ever want to lose that connection with consumption.
10. Why are all of your garments unavailable?All of our garments are made-to-order right here in our Nashville, TN warehouse by a small, hard-working team of individuals! We are so thankful for each order we receive because they keep us busy and allow us to continue doing the work we love. That said, since we have a limited number of people on our team and a made-to-order workflow, we are only able to produce a certain number of garments each week in order to maintain our ideal 2-3 week lead time. Once we’ve reached our order capacity for the week, our made-to-order garments become unavailable for purchase until the next Wednesday. We reopen sales every Wednesday at 11am CST, so you can place your order soon!
11. When can I order a garment that is currently unavailable?If a made-to-order garment on your wishlist is unavailable, you can expect it to be available again on the upcoming Wednesday at 11am CST!
12. Why are some pieces available and others not? All of our garments are made-to-order in Birmingham, AL. Our made-to-order garments are just that - made-to-order! This means that our incredible Cutting and Sewing Teams will begin producing your pieces after you place your order. Since we have a limited number of team members, we are only able to produce a limited number of garments each week. If you notice that the made-to-order garment you are interested in is unavailable, it’s because our team has reached their capacity for the week. Not to worry though - everything will be available again on Wednesday, so check back in with us then!
13. I’m interested in hearing more about the way you’re receiving and producing orders. Where can I learn more?You can hear more about our process in Liz’s audio essay here! In this audio essay, she discusses where we’ve been, where we are, and where we’re going, and she explains our process more thoroughly. If you’re only interested in hearing about our process and what’s next, jump to 44:45!
14. Are you able to update me on the status of my order? Heck yes. We’re here to give you updates every step of the way! Email our Customer Relations Team at email@example.com, and we’ll let you know when to expect your order.
15. Can I change my order after it's been placed? We want your garment to fit perfectly into your wardrobe, so if you’d like to change your size, color, or fabric, we’re here to help! Email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you can. Once we hear from you, we are able to update our Production Team on your garment. Teamwork, y’all! An important note! Keep in mind that all garments are made to order, so if our Production Team has already begun working on your garment, we’ll have to restart the process. This may mean your order’s lead time resets at 6-7 weeks.
16. Can you rush ship my order? Good things take time. We are unable to rush orders simply because there are no garments to rush. Every garment is carefully made-to-order only after it has been purchased. We promise it will be worth the wait! In the meantime, get to know us a bit better here!
17. Am I responsible for paying customs fees when my order arrives?Customs and import duties are levied by the receiving country and are therefore the buyer's responsibility. We know these fees can oftentimes come as a surprise, so get a heads up about your country’s customs fees with a quick online search before purchasing. We are also unable to mark packages as gifts.
18. Can I update the shipping address on my order?For sure! If you order hasn’t shipped yet, we can change your address. Email our Customer Relations Team at email@example.com with your new address, and we’ll make sure everything is updated.
19. How do I care for my garment? Is it dry clean only? Care instructions are listed under “Material & Care” tab on all of our product pages. All of our garments, with the exception of some knits, can be washed and dried in your washing machine at home. We pre-wash and dry every piece(!) before it leaves our building. This means by the time it arrives at your doorstep, your piece has been pre-shrunk and will remain the same size after you wash it at home. We always recommend washing your ES garments with like colors using cold water. Lastly, we especially love the rumpled linen straight out of the dryer, so feel empowered to forego your iron altogether most days!
20. Can I set up a showroom appointment?As an online company, creating time to see you in person is so important to us. We welcome customers to visit our warehouse and to take a tour of our workspace! We have a recently renovated space and would love for you to see where your clothing is made. We offer tours by appointment only Tuesday - Friday from 10am-3pm CST. If you would like to schedule a tour, email our Customer Relations Team at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time!